Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Burgers and what?

Some food unions seem meant to be. Peanut butter and chocolate, chips and dip, a burger with fries. Notice I did not name burgers and cupcakes. It would be hard to believe that combo existed but since there are two location of Burgers and Cupcakes restaurants in Manhattan it is apparently a thriving combination.
Having a burger craving with some co-workers we opted to give this unique concept a try and called for delivery. I can't vouch for the atmosphere of the restaurant, only the quality of food that arrives after traveling 7 blocks. We of course ordered both a burger and a cupcake because otherwise what is the point?

First the burger: Nice and thick, with a crispy bottom and the taste of quality meat, nestled in a delicious bun. Although my medium cooked burger was a little dry, all in all this is a burger! Impressive and an almost equal match to many of the Manhattan burger greats except one complaint. The basic burger I ordered was 7.95 with no cheese or toppings included. For another dollar an item you can spruce up you burger meaning you'll drop 10.00 on what boils down to is a high quality fast food burger. Though I recommend the burgers and they are great, for my moneys worth I would still recommend Shake Shack or Burger Joint.

Now the cupcake: Strawberry Cheesecake sounded great and the first bite had echoes of strawberry shortcake. I was delighted, but a few bites more I found this 2.95 cupcake to be dry and not so impressive. Definitely not on par with the cupcake masters of the city. I only tried one flavor but the cupcakes were not top notch.

After spending about 15.00 dollars on a lunch of a burger, a cupcake and some fries,
I learned there is no need to combine burgers and cupcakes. Even had the cupcake been great there was really no need to eat it after the burger. I had it a few hours later anyway because the thought of throwing a cupcake on top of my burger and fries almost made me ill, or at least think of the restaurant more as Heart Attacks and Diabetes. In this city full of food trends a new quirky restaurant does not a good idea make. I guess in realizing the ridiculousness of this combo, I won't listen to a co-workers idea to open a hot dog and Strudels restaurant. Maybe it would have taken Manhattan by storm but some things are not meant to go together

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How dare you bad mouth my hot dog and strudel idea!